Accommodation and commuting

There are generally three options for living while studying in London: student accommodation, commuting from home or a shared flat/house. 


North Greenwich has a vibrant student community and there are many accommodation providers a short journey away. Some providers most popular with our students are listed here. Top tips:

  • To be sure of your annual accommodation cost, pay close attention to both the weekly rent and the contract length which can vary, up to 51 weeks. 

  • Undergraduate applicants are invited to join a Discord server - a great place to discuss accommodation and find flatmates if you're looking to rent in groups.

University of London Housing Services

The following services and more are freely available to our students and offer holders.

  • Help finding accommodation
    Browse a registered database where landlords, letting agents, private halls and other providers advertise properties.

  • Find a flatmate
    Join a Flatmate Finder Facebook group where you can post ads for rooms or find students to go flat hunting with.

  • Contract Checking
    Guidance on what to look out for when renting and checking tenancy contracts for unfair clauses which may cause problems.

  • Legal Advice
    Support for students who experience problems in private accommodation and advice on issues including deposit disputes and disrepair.

Find out more

Commuting from home

Living with relatives/friends can be more affordable than accommodation. Most of our students choose to live at home with family for their first year.

 Our advice to commuters

  • Invest in a 16-25 railcard
    Railcards save 1/3 on off-peak fares on national rail and the tube! Over-25s in full-time study can also get this railcard.

  • Get a Student Oyster card (if you travel a lot within London)
    A Student Oyster saves 30% on weekly, monthly or annual travelcards for tube/bus/trams.

  • Book your train tickets early
    Prices get higher closer to your travel date. Book early to help with costs.

How to find our campus

Privately renting

Here are some sites you can use for help finding shared properties. Note: Escape Studios do not vet properties, landlords or flatmates. If you require assistance, you can get in touch with the University of London Housing Services listed above.